Due to the ongoing suspension of exits permits from the Congolese authority, DGM, we are currently not accepting NEW applicants for this program. In-process adoptions continue to be completed. As soon as the ban is lifted we will be able to process new applications. In the meantime, if you are interested in adopting from Africa, please call Debra at 1-843-343-5534.
EAC is working in cooperation with the Ministry of Justice in DRC to complete adoptions from Congo. There are many benefits to the Congo program including fast processing times and quick referrals. The Democratic Republic of the Congo has about 4.2 million orphaned children due to significant poverty, death of one or more parents, war and famine. These orphans desperately need a home and a loving forever family.
January 2014 - Debra & Robin went to Congo!
To read more about Debra & Robin's trip to Congo click here!
12/2/13 - *We are not taking applications for singles at this time
6/26/14 - All aspects of Congo adoptions are moving forward at this time, however DGM is not processing exit letters until September 25th, 2014 as stated by Congolese Goverment.
Children Available for Adoption in Congo
- Both boys and girls of African heritage available for adoption
- Singles, siblings and non-related children
- Toddlers available to school age children
- All children are tested for tuberculosis, sickle cell, hepatitis and HIV while in orphanage care
Travel Requirements for a Congo Adoption
- One trip of 7-14 days in Congo
- Both parents may travel or one parent may travel with a power of attorney to complete the process on his or her own.
Congo Adoption Procedure
- Application and program contract submitted, received and approved
- EAC can offer you references for home study agencies in your area
- Dossier preparation
- EAC will provide you with guidance for each step of the dossier process
- I600-A petition filing to USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services)
- Dossier Submission
- EAC thoroughly reviews your completed dossier with you prior to submitting it to DRC
- Dossier required to be translated in to French, the official language of DRC
- Begin vaccination program for pending travel to DRC (Yellow Fever is mandatory; check with
your personal physician and/or the Center for Disease Control for additional travel health recommendations.)
- Receive referral of a child(ren) available for adoption
- You will be provided with 1-2 photos
- Medical information
- Social history of the child(ren) and reason for placement of adoption
- Copies of any documents the agency has received on the child(ren)
- Upon acceptance of referral of the child(ren):
- Submit and receive official acceptance of referral documentation
- The petition to adopt is filed with the court
- The court date is usually set within 1-3 months after dossier is received
- Adoptive parents are not present at the court hearing, the adoption occurs on your behalf through
the power of attorney you will grant to our representative in DRC.
- After the appropriate time has passed and all legal items completed, the adoption is approved and decree issued
- File I600 at USCIS in the US
- US Department of State estimates their investigation will be completed in 3-6 months
- EAC will guide you through travel preparations
- Securing a visa for your entry into DRC
- EAC can offer assistance with lodging and other travel suggestions
- Adoptive parents will be met by our English-speaking in country staff at the airport upon arrival at DRC and escorted to their hotel, US Embassy, and Congolese Migration Office by the attorney and/or Kinshasa staff
- Travel to Kinshasa, DRC
- After adoption is approved it is time to pick up your child(ren), one or both parents will make one trip of approximately 5-7 days to Kinshasa, DRC
- You will meet your child(ren) and our in country staff will help you complete US immigration and Congolese exit requirements
- If only one parent travels the second parent will provide a power of attorney for the traveling spouse to complete the process on his or her own
Time Frame for a Congo Adoption
- From start to finish expected to complete adoption in 12-16 months.
Referrals are expected on avg. 1-3 months after dossier submitted to DRC.